Why Get Involved?
1. Create Community for You and UNM
For many, this is the first time you’ve been away from family or high school friends. There is no better way than getting involved in student organizations and campus programs to make this community of 30,000 people become smaller and more familiar. Have fun and add your special and unique personality to our campus culture.
2. Get Connected to Campus Resources
UNM is full of resources to help you succeed, but it is your responsibility to take advantage of these resources. Getting involved on campus connects you with students and advisors who have a knowledge base of the programs and can provide extra help. More than likely, they have connections with tutors, academic counselors, financial consultants, professional counselors, and much more. Not to mention, many students you meet are probably in, or have taken, your same classes. Ask to study with them or get advice on the best professors.
3. Discover and Practice Your Passions
Joining a student organization is the perfect way to explore your interests. Perhaps you are looking to explore a new area of study or career field; joining a student organization along those lines is a great way to learn about the subject before committing. Student organizations also have many different community service options, sports, activities, religions and belief centers, and so much more. Once you determine what you are passionate about, find a correlating student organization to enhance your UNM experience. It is also very easy to start your own student organization -- more than likely there are lots of other students at UNM with similar interests. By taking the first step of involvement, it will inevitably lead to meaningful lifelong opportunities.
4. Build Your Resume and Learn Important Skills
Let's face it, you're here to get a degree that will prepare you to land that perfect job. A good G.P.A. gets you only so far. Student organizations allow you to enhance various skills and gain experience related to your major. They also are perfect environments to develop leadership skills, practice communication skills, learn time management, gain budget experience, supervise other students, and much more. Imagine the resume of a student organization president who oversees a group of 120 students, or the treasurer who manages a budget of $20,000. That is the real world, out-of-the-classroom, experience you can gain by involvement in UNM's student organizations.
5. Get Better Grades and Graduate Sooner
Research suggests students who are involved in student organizations and campus activities have a better G.P.A., graduate sooner, and have a better college experience.
6. Have Fun
Now is the time to enjoy the traditional college experience. Have fun and explore all the different activities and programs offered on campus. UNM is unlike many other large schools -- you can be a big fish in our big pond. It is extremely easy to get involved and have a lasting impact on our campus.
How to Get Involved
- Visit the Student Activities Center (SUB Room 1018) and talk with a student organization advisor
- Attend an event advertised on the Student Activities Center main webpage
- Volunteer or apply for a Student Government position. ASUNM is for undergraduates while GPSA is for graduate students
- Join one of UNM's 400+ student organizations. Get more info here: Guide to Student Organizations
- If you live in the Residence Halls there are lots of great activities and programming opportunities
- Participate in intramurals, Getaway Adventures, and fitness classes through Recreational Services
- Support Lobo athletic teams
- Join the New Mexico Spirit Marching Band, get cast in a play, or make a movie
- Visit a Student Support Center: